Thursday, April 2, 2015

A Review of Jeanette Morgan's "Music in a Flash" (by D. Brian Weese)



I have thoroughly enjoyed using Music in a Flash in my classroom this year. Because it has three different preset levels of rhythm difficulty, I have been able to use it with every grade level, Kindergarten through Fifth Grade. What I really love is that I can create my own sets, giving me the ability to focus on a particular rhythm.
Product Image
I typically use Music in a Flash as a rhythm drill activity at the beginning of our music classes. Sometimes we just read and play 10-15 rhythms and go on to the next activity.  Any instruments can be used, or even body percussion.  Often I will ask a student to read the rhythm for the class and then we will perform it several times.  I have also used it as a tool for assessment, asking each student in turn to read (or read and play) the next projected rhythm.  The three preset accompaniments are wonderful to play along with as well.

In addition, many rhythm standards can be accomplished with your students, from reading rhythmic notation to student created rhythms, and every activity is accompanied by a student learning goal.

As a result of using this product, I have seen my students become better readers and musicians as they experience rhythm in an interactive environment.  I have also spent less time making my own Interactive Whiteboard rhythm activities because of the versatility of the application. 

Even though every music classroom is different, I'm confident that Music in a Flash can meet the needs of every music teacher. This incredible product is a must for any music classroom, and I would highly recommend it!

_______________________________________________
 

D. Brian Weese has been a music educator for 12 years and served in several churches working with children's choirs, adult choirs, and various instrumental groups.  He has an undergraduate degree in Music Education from Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, Arizona and a Masters degree in Church Music from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky. He has also completed Orff Level 1 and regularly attends and participates in the Atlanta Orff Chapter.  Currently he teaches elementary music in Walton County, Georgia and loves passing on his love of music to kids. He's been married to his wife, Sonya, for 24 years and they have five great kids who all love music!


1 comment:

  1. Great write-up, I am a big believer in commenting on blogs to inform the blog writers know that they’ve added something worthwhile to the world wide web!.. buy apple music plays

    ReplyDelete